Spiced Apple No-Oat-Meal
Cold and crisp mornings call for something warm and cozy to get the day started. This No-Oat-Meal hits the spot!
It’s basically a high fiber, low carb version of oatmeal that’s grain free, paleo and plant based.
Oatmeal is a common breakfast that’s thought to be healthy. However, for many people it’s a trigger that irritates their digestion or spikes blood sugar leaving them hungry a few hour later, reaching for an extra cup of coffee.
This recipe is loaded with healthy fats and fiber to stabilize blood sugar and keep you full and satisfied for hours. And because it’s grain free it’ll cut down on the inflammatory properties that leave you feeling bloated or gassy.
You’ll be surprised how much the texture resembles oatmeal. Give it a try – I think you’ll love it!
Oatmeal is such a staple, but if you’ve been experiencing any inflammation, digestive issues, weight gain, low energy and blood sugar issues, oatmeal may not be the best option to ease your symptoms and support healing.
Oatmeal is predominately made of carbohydrates. Although it is a whole grain and does have some fiber, oats do contain a decent amount of starch. This high starch content can lead to imbalanced blood sugar, energy, mood, weight and hormonal imbalances.
So this No-Oat-Meal means, no bloating, stomach cramps, moodiness or fatigue on days when you start your day with a bowl of warm and cozy deliciousness!
This recipe keeps really well in the fridge and is delicious hot or cold. Double the recipe, portion it in jars and enjoy for a couple of days!
A warm bowl of oatmeal, but without the oats. Oatmeal is a common breakfast that’s thought to be
healthy. However, it’s usually a trigger to spike blood sugar leaving you hungry a few hour later or
reaching for an extra cup of coffee. This no-oat-meal is loaded with healthy fats and fiber to stabilize
blood sugar and keep you full and satisfied for hours. The texture is just like oatmeal too!
This recipe keep really well in the fridge and is delicious hot or cold. Double the recipe, portion it in
jars and enjoy for a couple of days!
- 1 green apple*
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk + 1/2 cup water (or 1 cup almond milk)
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon chia seed
- 1 tablespoon hemp seed (optional)
- 1 serving collagen powder (or protein of choice)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Core the apple and cut it in 4-6 wedges. Put it in a high powered blender or food processor and pulse to shred the apple into pea sized slices . You can also finely dice with a knife.
- Add coconut milk and water to a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil.
- While the milk is heating, combine everything else in a small bowl.
- Once the milk has come to a boil add everything to the pot and stir constantly to thicken to an oatmeal consistency, about 1-2 minutes. If it's too thick for your preference add more milk, if it's too thin, add an extra tablespoon of almond flour or 1/4 teaspoon of chia seeds.
- Scoop it into a bowl and enjoy!
* I like using honeycrisp apple, or something more firm and crisp. Granny smith will also work well. You can also use 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce instead but it will be more like porridge instead of oatmeal.
Keywords: Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Paleo