Roasted Tomato & Lamb Ragu
It wasn’t until recently that I embraced my Italian roots and started to really love pasta. Shocking, I know! Growing up pasta looked like noodles and butter or boxed mac n cheese and as an adult, that just feels a little boring.
Don’t get me wrong – I still have a soft spot for a bowl of Annie mac n cheese. But I’d rather have a bowl of bolognese, pasta primavera or carbonara. I want the healthy fats, the protein and the vegetables for variety, texture and that satisfaction after a yummy meal. I want the flavor!
This Roasted Tomato & Lamb Ragu checks all the boxes! The roasted tomatoes give it a rich tomato flavor, the spices give it a subtle kick and don’t forget lemon zest and parsley for a bit of freshness.
Not only do all these ingredients bring flavor to your plate, but they also allow you to enjoy pasta while supporting your metabolic health. Combining protein, fats and vegetables will help support your blood sugar and decrease the blood sugar spike you’d otherwise have from a bowl of Annie mac n cheese.
Serve over spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, heart of palm noodles, or roasted potatoes for an anti-inflammatory pasta option.
If you like this recipe, check out these other pasta recipes on the blog!
Vegetable Bolognese with Spaghetti Squash
Shrimp Pasta with Caramelized Onion & Fennel
Give it a try and tag me on Instagram @alannadesalvonutrition
Roasted Tomato & Lamb Ragu
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon aleppo chili or chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cup roasted tomatoes*
- ½ cup bone broth or water
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Heat ghee in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add onions, a pinch of salt and cook until translucent and golden about 10-15 minutes.
- Add bell peppers to the pan and cook until soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic, oregano, cumin, paprika, and chili flakes and stir to combine.
- Add lamb and season with sea salt and pepper. Using the back of a spatula, break up the meat into small pieces and the meat starts to break down. Continue to cook until the meat is browned and just cooked through, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook for 1 minute until brick red and sticking to the pan.
- Add tomatoes and broth, stirring to scrape any brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat to low, continuing to cook for about 5-7 minutes to reduce sauce. Stir in half of the parsley.
- Serve sauce mixed into or on top of your favorite noodle alternative. Top with lemon zest and remaining parsley.