Whether you’re a Taco Tuesday family or more of a Tacos Any Night kind of fam, this Chicken Fajita Taco recipe will be one of your new faves. It uses simple ingredients like chicken thighs, bell peppers, mushrooms and onions to create tasty flavors that everyone will love. I’m getting hungry just thinking about it! It’s such a quick weeknight dinner recipe and a great easy lunch meal prep option.
A healthy chicken fajita taco recipe:
Not only is this recipe totally delicious, but it’s also full of nutrients. You can’t go wrong with a meal of essentially protein and veggies, which is what makes up these easy chicken fajita tacos.
It’s subtle differences in quality that makes these fajita tacos different than any fajitas you might find at your local Mexican restaurant.
Using avocado oil, instead of canola – adding extra vegetables and spices into the meat mixture – using organic, pasture raised meat instead of commercial – and choosing gluten- or grain- free tortillas of choice.
- Chicken is a complete protein that helps balance blood sugar and keep you feeling satiated longer, providing all essential amino acids.
- Bell peppers give tons of flavor to your meal and are packed with vitamin C. Use any color you’d like for a boost of antioxidant properties, vitamin A and fiber.
- Onions are of course an essential component of any good fajita taco and are SO good for you! Red onions are also a rich source of quercetin, sulfur compounds that support the liver and prebiotic fibers that support gut health.
What’s to love about chicken fajita tacos:
- These easy chicken fajita tacos are just that – EASY! They are made up of a few simple, whole ingredients and come together quickly. They’re a great way to get a healthy dinner on the table without stressing.
- These fajita tacos are perfect for food sensitivities and certain food lifestyles. They’re gluten free, dairy free, paleo and Whole30-friendly.
- They’re a family-friendly recipe! Kids notoriously love tacos. They’ll enjoy building their own and adding the colorful bell peppers.
- It’s subtle differences in quality that makes these fajita tacos different than any fajitas you might find at your local Mexican restaurant. Using avocado oil, instead of canola – adding extra vegetables and spices into the meat mixture – using organic, pasture raised meat instead of commercial – and choosing gluten- or grain- free tortillas of choice.
- You can make them your own! One of my favorite parts about tacos for dinner is being able to customize my plate and add all kinds of tasty toppings.
Try these variations of fajita tacos:
- Swap chicken for steak. Flat iron, flank steak or skirt steak. Just slice thin and toss with the spices, just as you would with the chicken fajita meat.
- Add any vegetables you’d like. This recipe keeps it easy and somewhat traditional using bell peppers, onion and mushrooms. But feel free to add any of your favorite vegetables for more fiber and antioxidants. Zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli florets, pablano peppers or organic corn would be great additions.
- Make it a fajita taco bowl! Serve the fajita filling on top of shredded lettuce, white, brown or cauliflower rice.
What You’ll Need For The Best Fajitas Tacos
Just like any meal, tacos should be a balanced meal, filled with protein, veggies and healthy fats, wrapped up in your tortillas of choice.
- Chicken, I recommend organic and pasture raised
- Bell Peppers, any color will do!
- Red Onion
- Avocado Oil
- Lime Juice & Zest
- Spices! You can make your own mix of oregano, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, coriander and cayenne, but a taco seasoning or chili powder will work too.
- Tortillas: I recommend organic corn or grain free tortillas from Siete Foods.
- Your favorite toppings! I love avocado, radishes, salsa, green onion and Forager’s Cultured Dairy Free Sour Cream.
How to make the recipe
- Start by marinating the chicken: Slice the chicken thighs into ½ inch thick slices and add to a bowl along with the bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, avocado oil, lime, salt and fajita seasoning. Mix everything to combine and make sure the spices are evenly dispersed.
- Cook the chicken, onions, and bell peppers: Pour the contents onto a lined sheet tray and bake for 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and vegetables are starting to char.
- Warm up the tortillas: While the fajitas are cooking, warm up the tortillas in a dry skillet or on an open flame.
- Assemble the tacos: Once everything is cooked, it’s time to enjoy the tacos. Start with a warm tortilla, then add some of the chicken, onions, and bell peppers. Top with some fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Serve and enjoy: Serve the tacos with your favorite toppings, such as radishes, green onion, salsa, guacamole, or sour cream.
Tips For Healthier Sheet Tray Cooking
Always consider what type of sheet pan are you using in the oven?
Aluminum pans leach into food, especially when using acidic ingredients like citrus or tomatoes. Those metals that leach into your food can then be stored in your body and cause inflammation.
Q: What toppings do you put on chicken fajita tacos?
A: Top your fajita tacos with a squeeze of lime juice, sliced avocado, radishes, salsa, dairy free cheese and sour cream, cilantro, sliced jalapeños, and homemade guacamole. Use your favorites!
Q: Is taco seasoning different from fajita seasoning?
A: There are very similar. Taco seasoning may have more oregano and chili powder than fajita seasoning, while fajita seasoning is more cumin heavy. Either way, the flavors are great in both! So if you have taco seasoning on hand at home, feel free to use that.
Q: What is the best way to cut chicken for fajita tacos?
A: I recommend cutting in ½ inch thick strips, just like a fajita you’d order at a restaurant!
How to store your easy chicken fajitas or meal prep:
This is the perfect meal prep recipe! Don’t be afraid to double or triple the recipe on a couple racks in the oven. Make half with chicken, half with steak or your favorite meat.
Once you’ve made the fajita filling, you can use it in so many ways to put together a quick meal because fajitas aren’t just for tacos!
Serve over lettuce for a taco salad. Mix with beans and top with a fried egg and have yourself a pseudo huevos rancheros. Chop it up and make enchiladas!
Serve fajita tacos with:
Other easy one pan & one pot dinner recipes you’ll love:
For more inspiration for balancing, allergy friendly recipes and nutrition tips, follow along on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, or sign up to receive my newsletter to get all the latest updates on every new recipe!
If you make this Chicken Fajita Taco recipe, please share a photo with me! It would make my day! Tag me on Instagram or Facebook @withthymenutrition or email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chicken Fajita Tacos
- 1 - 1 1/2 lbs organic chicken thighs
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 red onion
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 lime juice and zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 8 gluten free tortillas corn or grain free
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne optional
Optional toppings: cilantro, radish, avocado, salsa, sour cream
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice the chicken thighs into ½ inch thick slices and add to a bowl along with the bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, avocado oil, lime, salt and fajita seasoning. Mix everything to combine and make sure the spices are evenly dispersed.
- Pour the contents onto a lined sheet tray and bake for 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and vegetables are starting to char.
- Scoop fajita mixture into a tortilla and serve with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!